Knowing how to make Cannabis wax at home is an easy, inexpensive way to keep your dab rig active. If you’re tired of brittle and fragile shatter and are into a DIY project, we’ll show you a simple method to make homemade Cannabis wax.
As you know, cannabis wax is a type of dab-able concentrate that gets its name from having a softer and more wax like consistency than shatter or other THC concentrates – This makes it easier to handle, produce and use.
Like with any new project, start small and take it slow. If you’re new to dabbing try one small hit and wait a little while to see how your body reacts. You can always hit the rig again if you need more but not everybody wants to end up out of commission for the evening. Remember, objects in the dab rig may be more potent than they appear!
We’d recommend starting this project small too with the recommended 2.5 grams. Once you’re comfortable with the process you can scale up if needed but you don’t want to waste your green gold in the meantime.
- 2.5 grams of Cannabis
- Heat and freezer safe vessels with a spout (We love a pyrex measuring cup)
- 99-100% isopropyl alcohol
- Fine mesh metal screen
- Unbleached coffee filters
- Hot water
1) Break up your weed just a bit. Crumble, don’t pulverize.
2) Put it in an oven-safe container and dry out the cannabis at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
3) Once your bud is very dry and crispy, put it in the freezer with (but not inside) the bottle of alcohol and chill for three to five hours.
4) Wait patiently. Roll a joint, watch a movie, call your mama…
5) Pour the cold syrupy alcohol over the cannabis and cover it by at least an inch.
6) Gently swish the mix for 20 seconds. Let it chill for an hour or two. (or a day or two if you want every last molecule of thc)
7) Separate the bud from the alcohol by pouring through a mesh screen. Squeeze out any lefties.
8) Set the plant matter aside (for now, we’re going to work with the alcohol).
9) With your coffee filter set over another jar or cup, pour the alcohol through the filter and into its new receptacle.
10) Wring out the coffee filter to get as much alcohol out as you can. Be careful not to tear the filter.
11) Allow the alcohol to evaporate. You can do this in one of two ways:
- Place a coffee filter over the top of the container and just give it time. This ones for the patients folks.
- If you hate waiting (same here!), you can put the water bath on the stove at low temp until you start to see signs of evaporation. Do not let the alcohol boil. You can ruin your stash and the alcohol is flammable.
12) When all the alcohol has evaporated, you’ve got yourself some homemade wax! Scrape that sticky goodness out of the jar and store in a glass container or on some parchment paper, away from any light source. Enjoy!